Wednesday, April 9, 2008

voyeurism



I was talking to my fellow editors at work today about how we arrange our bookshelves and what books are currently beside our beds. The books by my bed just reaffirm how unrealistic I am in my ambitions:

Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Crake" (one chapter left)

"Letters Home" by Sylvia/Aurelia Plath (re-reading it for the third time, about one-third of the way through)

Proust "Swann's Way" (feel like i will never finish it)

one of Simone de Beauvoir's autobiographies

"A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" (a loaned book)

a few dystopian paperbacks (1984, Brave New World)

and a stack of poetry by Sylvia plath, Don McKay, Al Purdy, and Ted Hughes.

What books are beside your bed?

4 comments:

ezmeralda said...

"Valley of the Dolls"

"Discipline and Punish"

"A Vindication of the Rights of Woman"

Oxford Dictionary

"Magician's Apprentice"

It's a strange collection. :P

Brendan said...

"The Unbearable Lightness of Being" (first time reader)

"Innocents Abroad" and "Roughing It" two hilarious Mark Twain classics that make me wish I could be a travel writer

"Anne Karenina" I got sick of holding it as a tome, so I cut out each of the ten books at once. Now I have ten volumes that I'm not reading instead of one.

"History of the Peloponesian War" Thucidedes. This one is a long shot. I'm going to need some kind of macho contest of honor to get finish this one.

Erin said...

I'm currently reading the relative fluff that is "The Garneau Block" (I was sort of contractually obligated, having lived my whole life in Edmonton), so that's there. Then there's also "Eros Revived: Erotica of the Enlightenment in England and America" (Peter Wagner) and "America" (Baudrillard).

margaret said...

I now also have "Middlesex" by my bed (when I am not carrying it around with me like a stuffed animal because I like it so much already)

there is a copy of "Atonement" there, too. and a collected Yeats.

I am trying really hard to read more contemporary literature.